We are a small, friendly, rural primary school located in the peaceful village of Thurlstone, in the picturesque foothills of the Pennines. We are within half an hour’s drive of Sheffield, Wakefield, Barnsley and a stone’s throw away from Holmfirth and ‘Summerwine’ country.
We have seven singleage classes with 181 children on role.
Thurlstone Primary School is committed to the development of the child in a whole school community. We provide a stimulating, safe environment and a high quality education which encourages confidence, independence and friendship. Our creative curriculum aims to develop mature, caring, enterprising individuals who have a clear role in society. We nurture enjoyment of learning by celebrating achievement and enthusiasm.
The school was first opened in 1880 and has a rich history. Click on the link to read the first two school log books dated 1880-1904.
Our Ethos and Values Are:
- Recognises all individuals for their human qualities
- Is welcoming and secure
- Recognises and celebrates all talents and achievements
- Encourages respect for individual differences:
- Sexual orientation
- Delivers the Foundation Stage Curriculum and National Curriculum in a broad, balanced and creative way
- Respects, shares and co-operates with one another
- Develops citizens physically, intellectually, morally, spiritually and culturally, who will make positive contributions to the wider world and society
- Strives to develop positive attitudes to learning which are carried through life
- Develops an understanding of different learning needs
- Promotes fun, enjoyment and enthusiasm
Our School Community Vision and Aims
- Love learning
- Develop the skills to become active learners who are self-motivated and challenge themselves.
- Involve themselves fully in the life of the school and community.
- Cultivate self confidence
- Exhibit outstanding behaviour showing respect, care and empathy for others.
- Discover, enjoy and extend their own unique gifts and talents.
- Obtain knowledge and ability to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Demonstrate outstanding progress and strive to reach their full potential.
We aim to inspire learning through creating:
- A listening school where children know their views are important, respected and acted on.
- A strong team that delivers meaningful, motivating and memorable teaching which excites children’s’ imaginations.
- An inspirational curriculum which promotes contextual learning and skills for life.
- A happy and safe atmosphere where everyone enjoys learning and working together.
- A positive ethos where success is recognised and achievements are celebrated.
- A sense of team where everyone in our learning community feels valued and respected.
- A school that has children and learning at the heart of everything that it does.