We are a small, friendly, rural primary school located in the peaceful village of Thurlstone, in the picturesque foothills of the Pennines. We are within half an hour’s drive of Sheffield, Wakefield, Barnsley and a stone’s throw away from Holmfirth and ‘Summerwine’ country.
We have six mixed age classes with 148 children on role.
Thurlstone Primary School is committed to the development of the child in a whole school community. We provide a stimulating, safe environment and a high quality education which encourages confidence, independence and friendship. Our creative curriculum aims to develop mature, caring, enterprising individuals who have a clear role in society. We nurture enjoyment of learning by celebrating achievement and enthusiasm.
We were rated as Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted in November 2015.
Our Ethos and Values Are:
At Thurlstone Primary School we believe that all children should enjoy learning experiences that excite their imagination and creativity. Our vision ensures that all children acquire the skills, knowledge and understanding to succeed at all stages of their education, and equips them with high aspirations for their future alongside strong community spirit. In this way our children become responsible and respectful citizens for the future, who will contribute fully to their local community.
This means working towards building a school community that:
- Recognises all individuals for their human qualities
- Is welcoming and secure
- Recognises and celebrates all talents and achievements
- Encourages respect for individual differences:
- Sexual orientation
- Delivers the Foundation Stage Curriculum and National Curriculum in a broad, balanced and creative way
- Respects, shares and co-operates with one another
- Develops citizens physically, intellectually, morally, spiritually and culturally, who will make positive contributions to the wider world and society
- Strives to develop positive attitudes to learning which are carried through life
- Develops an understanding of different learning needs
- Promotes fun, enjoyment and enthusiasm
The aims ensure we meet the outcomes for Every Child Matters. The outcomes are:
- To be safe
- To be healthy
- To enjoy and achieve
- To make a positive contribution
- To achieve economic well-being
Our School Community Vision and Aims
Our vision is to create an environment in which all of our children:
- Love learning
- Develop the skills to become active learners who are self-motivated and challenge themselves.
- Involve themselves fully in the life of the school and community.
- Cultivate self confidence
- Exhibit outstanding behaviour showing respect, care and empathy for others.
- Discover, enjoy and extend their own unique gifts and talents.
- Obtain knowledge and ability to live a healthy lifestyle.
- Demonstrate outstanding progress and strive to reach their full potential.
We aim to inspire learning through creating:
- A listening school where children know their views are important, respected and acted on.
- A strong team that delivers meaningful, motivating and memorable teaching which excites children’s’ imaginations.
- An inspirational curriculum which promotes contextual learning and skills for life.
- A happy and safe atmosphere where everyone enjoys learning and working together.
- A positive ethos where success is recognised and achievements are celebrated.
- A sense of team where everyone in our learning community feels valued and respected.
- A school that has children and learning at the heart of everything that it does.